For K1 & K2
SMART Tot! is a Guided English & Math Programme support a comprehensive Reading and Count Program by integrating differentiated small–group instruction, assessment, and independent practice.
The instructor begins by grouping students, then prompt, encourage, and confirm how students apply problem-solving strategies as they read and count.
Smart Tot – Guided English
Students will be heard and guided individually on their reading. Listening to a story told or read aloud well is a captivating experience.
What will your Child Learn?
- Strengthens speaking, listening, writing, reading and comprehension skills
- Increase their vocabulary
- Helps students appreciate the beauty and rhythm of language
- Enhances imagination and observation skills
- Improves critical and creative thinking skills
- Expands a student’s general knowledge and understanding of the world
- Develops positive attitudes towards books as a source of pleasure and information and helps to create life-long readers
- Builds community and a sense of belonging to the shared literary experience.
How Guided Reading Works
- Selects an appropriate text
- Introduces the story based on the experience and skills of the readers
- Engages in conversation about the story
- Notices information in the text
- Observes the reader’s behaviors
- Interacts to assist with problem-solving
- Reads the whole book or a unified part of themselves (softly or silently)
- Requests help when needed
- Assesses children’s understanding of what they read
- May engage children in extending the story through writing or more reading
- Revisits the text at points of problem-solving as guided by the teacher
- Engages in activities to extend or respond to the text