Primary 1 programmes aim to familiarise your child with the academic and social conditions that are part of Primary school. Learning is informed by a strong sense of interest-building and helping your child to expand his or her awareness of people, places and things that are part of primary school curriculum as well as the wider world around him or her.
Learning mathematical concepts and arithmetic skills should be fun and help your child to cultivate a love for math. Through lesson materials, hands-on activities and performance tasks, your child will also acquire useful life skills such as telling time and counting money. Find out more.
- Students will master foundational concepts in Number Sense, Four operations, Ordinal Numbers, Money, Length, Time, 2D Shapes, Patterns, and Picture Graphs.
- Students will solve word problems on Addition, Subtraction, Multiplication, Division, Ordinal Numbers and Money.
Skills and Techniques
- Students will present word problems pictorially by drawing part-whole and comparison models.
- Students will apply heuristics including Make A List, Find A Pattern and Restate the Problem in problem-solving.
- Students will use informal units of measurement to order object based on length and ordinal position.
- Students will develop critical thinking skills through topical challenging problems.
- Students will use manipulatives such as counting cubes and pan balances to carry out performance tasks in class.
- Students will revise concepts through role-playing, classroom games, and takeaways.
- Students will appreciate the real-life application of Math through arts, crafts, and presentations such as presenting the designed architecture based on the concept of length.