I, the parent / guardian (the “Parent”) of the student (the “Student”), hereby agree to the following terms and conditions (the “General Terms”):
(1) In these Terms & Conditions, the following words and phrases shall bear the following meanings, unless the context requires otherwise:
(a) “Academic Year” means an academic year at the Center, which generally runs a specified start date in Jan to 21 Dec of the same year;
(b) “Calendar Month” means a full month commencing on the 1st day of the calendar month and ending on the last day of that calendar month; and
(c) “Smart Excel”, “Center”, “SE” or “We” means any entity which runs tuition / enrichment / academic programmes / workshops / seminars / all other programmes or events under the “Smart Excel”, “Smart Excel Learning Center” names or any of their variations thereof in Singapore.
Conditions of Registration & Enrolment
(2) The enrolment of the Student in the course(s) indicated on the Course Registration Form (the “Registered Course(s)”) is conditional upon, inter alia:
(a) payment of a registration fee (if applicable);
(b) payment of a deposit equivalent to 1 month of course fees, unless otherwise specified, for the Registered Course(s) (the “Deposit”), upon the registration of the Student’s enrolment in the Registered Course(s). For the avoidance of doubt, and subject to these General Terms, the Deposit shall be used to pay for any outstanding amounts owed to Smart Excel, which shall include but is not limited to the course fees for the final month of the Registered Course(s), if applicable;
(c) purchase of prescribed books for the Registered Course(s), if applicable;
(d) advance payment of the monthly or termly course fee(s) for all Registered Course(s) before 1st day of each Calendar Month; and,
(e) in the event that course fee(s) remain(s) unpaid at the end of the Calendar Month in which they are due for payment, we reserve the right to disallow the Student from attending any class(es) in the Registered Course(s) from the following month.
(3) Notwithstanding anything in these General Terms, the Student is not entitled to receive any Smart Excel curriculum materials (in whatever form on whatever media) for Registered Courses which he or she has not paid for. In the event that the Student is registered for any of the Registered Course(s) after an Academic Year / term has begun, the Student shall be entitled to receive the curriculum materials only from the date on which he or she begins attending the Registered Course(s).
(4) Classes will not be held on the eve of Eid Raya Aidil Fitri and eve Eid Adha and any other public holiday which may be gazetted by the Government of Singapore from time to time. No make-up classes will be scheduled and no course fee will be collected, in lieu of the classes which would otherwise have been held on the aforementioned days.
Nevertheless, the worksheets for these public holidays will still be given out for students’ completion, which and will be marked by the teachers and covered in the subsequent weeks.
(5) There is no refund on any part of the monthly / termly course fees in the events that the Student fails to attend any class(es) in the Registered Course(s) for any reason whatsoever. Subject to these General Terms, and in the event the Student does not turn up the class(es) and the fees for that month / term remain unpaid, the Deposit shall be used to offset any unpaid fees. Any balance remaining after offset of Deposit remains payable to us.
(6) In the event that Student fails to attend a class in any our courses (with the exception of Smart Tod courses offered, Smart Excel may at its sole discretion, allow the Student to make-up the missed lesson by attending another on-going class within the same Center during the same academic week (ie: from Monday to Sunday), PROVIDED THAT:
(a) there is more than 1 class of the same level and subject within that centre;
(b) there is a vacancy in the class that the Student intends to attend as the make-up class;
(7) In the event that t is possible to arrange a make-up class due to no vacancy in other class(es), the course fee(s) for the relevant Registered Course shall not be refunded or pro-rated, even if the Student has valid reason(s) for missing the class.
(8) There will be no make-up classes or refund of fees if the Centre closes or there is a closure of classes due to an outbreak of contagious diseases (ie: SARS, Covid-19) or other unforeseen circumstances beyond our control.
Withdrawals & Refunds
(9) A written notice of withdrawal must be given at least one Calendar Month before the Student’s withdrawal from any of the Registered Course(s), and the Deposit shall be used to offset the course fees due for the relevant notice period, if applicable. In the event that less than one Calendar Month notice is given, no part of the Deposit will be refunded.
(10) In the event that a Parent decides to withdraw the student (regardless of reasons) before the Registered Course(s) commence(s), the Deposit will be forfeited. The one Calendar Month written notice in Clause 9 will not be applicable in this instance.
(11) Unless otherwise stated, all monies paid are non-refundable and non-transferrable to another student, regardless of whether the Registered Course(s) has / have commenced.
(12) A written request for transfer must be given at least one Calendar Month before the transfer from one course to another, or from one SE centre to another. Any transfer can only take effect on the first lesson of the following calendar month. In the event that we are unable to accomodate this request due to operational reasons or otherwise, and the Parent decides to withdraw the Student from the relevant Registered Course(s) or centre, the aforementioned written request for transfer shall not constitute with written notice of withdrawal describe in Clause 9.
(13) The Student and the Parent are prohibited from copying, reproducing, modifying, distributed or transmitting in any form or by any means whatsoever (including mechanical, electronic, recording, photocopying or otherwise) any of Smart Excel’s curriculum material (be they worksheets, notes, study materials or other material in whatever form or medium) (“Prohibited Act”). The Student or Parent shall also not instigate, encourage or instruct anyone to carry out the Prohibited Act.
(14) Smart Excel may copy, reproduce, display, distribute and use any work / material produced by the Student as part of the Registered Course(s).
(15) For the general benefit of a child, the Parent hereby warrants that the Student is registered for the Registered Course(s) at the same level at which the Student is currently enrolled for in his / her formal education (eg: if the Student is in P2 at a MOE government primary school, the Student must register P2 course(s) at Smart Excel.)
(16) We reserve the right and the sole discretion to, (a) transfer, combine or dissolve a class and change teachers and / or (b) terminate the Student’s place in any of the Registered Course(s).
(17) While Smart Excel will take reasonable precautions to ensure the safety of the Student, Smart Excel assumes no liability for personal injury, loss or damage to property or any loss or damage of any kind whatsoever which might be sustained by the Student in undertaking any activity or anything during the Registered Course(s), whether under the direction of Smart Excel or otherwise, and generally for any such injury, loss or damage however caused except by the willful default of Smart Excel, its servants or agents.
(18) The Parent hereby releases Smart Excel, its servants and agents from all liability for such injury, loss or damage of any other kind whatsoever which might be sustained by the Student in undertaking any activity or anything during the Registered Course(s) or / and in the Centre, whether under the direction of Smart Excel or otherwise, and generally for any such injury, loss or damage howsoever caused except by the willful default of Smart Excel, its servants and agents.
(19) Smart Excel shall not be liable for any default or closure of classes due to any act of God, war, strike, lockout, industrial action, fire, flood, drought, tempest or other event beyond Smart Excel’s reasonable control.
(20) It is the Parent’s responsibility to monitor the health of their children before they come to SE centre for lessons. If the Student is not feeling well, we reserve the right to put the Student in the office / administration area of the centre or send him home. The fees in respect of the lesson for that day will not be refunded. Attendance in any make-up classes is subject to clauses 6-7.
(21) The Course Registration Form and these General Terms contain the whole agreement between the Parent, Student and Smart Excel and supersedes any prior written or oral agreement amongst them relating to the Student’s enrolment in the Registered Course(s) and the parties confirm that they have not entered into this agreement on the basis of any representations that are not expressly incorporated in the Course Registration Form and these General Terms.
(22) The Parent hereby also consents to the collection, use and disclosure of his / her personal data as well as the personal data of the Student in accordance with the purposes specified in the SE Personal Data Protection Policy.