For students on the ‘O’ Level track, this crucial examination year is about systematic revision and refinement of exam skills. If your child is from an IP school, the secondary 4 year is a time to prepare well for curriculum at the pre-tertiary level, which will require your child to dive deep into content mastery.
At Secondary 4, your child will be required to read more complex passages and to write with precision and clarity.
Content and Language Mastery
Students will improve their grammar knowledge and skills by practising grammar drills, editing and
sentence reconstruction exercises. Students will also learn to edit their responses for grammatical accuracy and clarity in writing.
Through our comprehension, summary and critical thinking passages, our programme covers a wide range of general knowledge topics and current affairs to help students develop a global perspective and build their content knowledge for use in their essays. These topics include:
- technology and science
- global issues and social trends
- case studies of inspirational figures
Skills and Techniques
Students will refine critical reading and writing skills through our weekly lessons. These include:
- building writing skills by learning how to fine-tune language using signposting and hedging
- honing summary writing skills by learning how to paraphrase effectively and organize responses to match question requirements
- enhancing comprehension skills through error analysis and answer precision, and learning to construct responses in a clear and logical manner
- learning how to apply critical reasoning skills to evaluate information, recommendations and lines of reasoning presented in written and visual texts
Review and Reinforcement
In the lead up to the examinations, students will be trained in techniques and skills to help them excel in their examinable components. Our Secondary 4 programme aims to help students:
- hone their time management skills through practice tests in simulated exam conditions
- learn to analyze and review their errors so that they can identify and work on their weaknesses
- recap and review question analysis and answering techniques, as well as analyse assessment requirements
- learn how to use the appropriate tone, register and structure to present ideas and opinions clearly and confidently during oral examinations
Preparatory Course for GCE NT, N & O Level
It provides a comprehensive programme that equips students with the necessary learning competencies that prepare them for the annual examination of the joint awarding authorities – Ministry of Education, Singapore and the University of Cambridge International Examinations (CIE) for the Singapore-Cambridge GCE NT, N & O Levels.