Your Secondary 1 child is navigating an entirely new academic and social landscape as compared with primary school. Curriculum for this level encompasses foundational skills and exposure to new examinable components. Secondary 1 students will be expected to think and write with greater sophistication across all subjects.
In the first year of secondary school, your child will be exposed to a wide range of reading and writing tasks.
Content and Language Mastery
Students will be introduced to the examinable components at the secondary level and their assessment requirements. These include:
- literary analysis of unseen poetry and unseen prose
Students will also be exposed to a new format of editing that requires identifying and correcting common grammatical errors.
- education and the environment
- global issues and social trends
- arts and the humanities
Skills and Techniques
Students will continue to build on their reading and writing skills through our weekly lessons. These include:
- building their writing skills by learning how to express their thoughts and opinions in an organized and fluent manner
- honing their comprehension skills by learning how to identify question types and recognize corresponding question requirements
- improving their summary skills by learning how to locate relevant information within a text and summarise content in a coherent manner
Students are also trained in their time management skills through practice tests in simulated exam conditions.
Preparatory Course for GCE NT, N & O Level
It provides a comprehensive programme that equips students with the necessary learning competencies that prepare them for the annual examination of the joint awarding authorities – Ministry of Education, Singapore and the University of Cambridge International Examinations (CIE) for the Singapore-Cambridge GCE NT, N & O Levels.