Your Secondary 1 child is navigating an entirely new academic and social landscape as compared with primary school. Curriculum for this level encompasses foundational skills and exposure to new examinable components. Secondary 1 students will be expected to think and write with greater sophistication across all subjects. Our Secondary 1 Mathematics programme focuses on building an interest in more abstract mathematical concepts through a variety of investigative activities and lesson plans.
- Students will learn about the classification of numbers based on number properties, and find the highest common factor and
lowestcommon multiple ofnumbers using prime factorisation.
- Students will explore the concept of variables and learn how the relationship between two variables can be represented in algebraic, tabular and graphical forms.
- Students will be exposed to a variety of real-life contexts, including travel plans, transport schedules, recipes, etc.
- Students will learn terminologies related to personal and household finance, such as interests, installments, utility bills, and exchange rates.
Skills and Techniques
- Students will learn to use algebra and other symbols to represent and convey mathematical ideas.
- Students will be guided on the application of algebraic equations to a variety of problems and on solving the problems using a systematic and logical approach.
- Students will acquire basic manipulative skills, such as Rounding Off, Arithmetic and Algebraic Manipulation and Data Handling.
Preparatory Course for GCE NT, N & O Level
It provides a comprehensive programme that equips students with the necessary learning competencies that prepare them for the annual examination of the joint awarding authorities – Ministry of Education, Singapore and the University of Cambridge International Examinations (CIE) for the Singapore-Cambridge GCE NT, N & O Levels.