Your Secondary 1 child is navigating an entirely new academic and social landscape as compared with primary school. Curriculum for this level encompasses foundational skills and exposure to new examinable components. Secondary 1 students will be expected to think and write with greater sophistication across all subjects.
Science, at secondary one, encompasses elements of Biology, Chemistry
- Students will be introduced to General Science topics such as Laboratory Safety and Apparatus.
- Students learn more in-depth scientific concepts from topics in Biology such as Cells and Movement of Substances.
- Students learn more in-depth scientific concepts from topics in Chemistry such as Elements, Compounds and Mixtures, and Separation Techniques.
- Students learn more in-depth scientific concepts from topics in Physics such as Physical Quantities, and Mass, Weight
Skills and Techniques
- Students acquire question analysis skills to interpret information and the provided data appropriately.
- Students will have greater exposure to questions that involve experimental skills such as identifying constant, changed or measured variables.
- Students will learn how experiments are conducted and how to write and record experiment procedures.
- Students will learn to compare the concepts and identify the similarities and differences between them. For example, students will learn about the similarity between a solution and a suspension, and the differences between a bacterium and a typical plant cell.
- Students will cover biological drawing in greater detail and more precision.
Preparatory Course for GCE NT, N & O Level
It provides a comprehensive programme that equips students with the necessary learning competencies that prepare them for the annual examination of the joint awarding authorities – Ministry of Education, Singapore and the University of Cambridge International Examinations (CIE) for the Singapore-Cambridge GCE NT, N & O Levels.